Construction of the church of St. Francis Xavier in Mondovi, also known as the “church of the Mission,” began in 1665, designed by architect Giovanale Boetto, who envisioned it with a Baroque sandstone facade. The building was completed in only thirteen years, in 1678. The church has a single nave and is richly decorated inside: most notable are the frescoes by Andrea Pozzo, one of the greatest artists of the time.
The interior of the church is mostly characterized by the use of Vico stone, but there is no lack of Moncervetto, which is particularly noticeable as a material for the base of the altars, especially the altar of Our Lady of Sorrows.
